Friday, January 14, 2011

Big Changes

It started with a dream I had a few days before Christmas. I was at The Price is Right punchboard, playing the game. I punched a compartment in the upper left side of the board. It contained a stack of five burlap bags, each holding a billion gold dollar coins. One bag was leaking, spilling gold coins as it was lifted up to reveal what I won. I woke with a forbidding feeling--I knew the number five, as well as money, meant changes. The bigger the money, the bigger the changes. Something life-changing was about to happen. I knew it wasn't something I wanted. I started driving more slowly, looking both ways twice, taking my time and being extra cautious when I had to go somewhere. I looked up gold in Betty Bethard's The Dream Book, my favorite dream dictionary, and it said "a gift from The Universe." Okay, maybe it wouldn't be too bad.
The day after Christmas we were told Ken's CT scan showed a suspicious lesion on his rib. I went and bought wheatgrass and he immediately started a juice fast. A PET scan was the next step. I was told by a friend who saw it that there were several places in his body that looked like cancer. I couldn't sleep while we waited to meet with the surgeon. Finally, the official diagnosis, cancer that started in the pancreas and spread. No surgery or chemotherapy would fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment